Having ugly psoriasis on scalp is frustrating for the sufferer. People seeing someone with this skin condition must realize that it is not contagious. And, it is not due to poor hygiene and improper hair care. The flakes that fall on clothes are so disgusting because you cannot brush them off without anybody noticing you have a problem on your scalp. Don’t despair; medications and many kinds of natural treatment of psoriasis of the scalp are within reach.
Anyone can have psoriasis on scalp especially if it runs in the family. Be thankful if you don’t, because once you have it on your scalp, hands, elbows, knees, feet or any part of your body, more likely you’ll have it forever. You may be able to get rid of psoriasis for a while; however; it may come back with thicker plaques than before. There are many unpleasant symptoms of scalp psoriasis, but we’ll talk on how to remove flakes from psoriasis-affected areas.
When Removing Flakes or Scales from the Scalp
To make scalp psoriasis treatment effective, you must first loosen and remove the thick, shiny and dried flakes on the patches. You may want to seek advice from your dermatologist or doctor to do this for the first time. Flakes are hardly attached and removing them by force without the proper procedure may be harmful to your scalp especially if a large area of your scalp is covered with psoriasis.
- To avoid causing further damage to your scalp, try to soften the scales first before removing them.
- Wet the affected scalp with warm medicated water for about 30 minutes to soften the flakes.
- Warm medicated oils are also effective in softening flakes of psoriasis on scalp. Warm oil can also provide relief from itchy scalp psoriasis.
- When the flakes are already soft, you can remove them by combing gently into the scalp to sweep the loose flakes away from the scalp and hair.
- It will be better if someone is willing to remove the soft flakes for you as that person can see if your scalp is completely free from flakes.
- After the flakes have been removed, you can apply medications according to your doctor’s advice. Your doctor may advice the use of topical solutions or creams to be applied directly on the patches of scalp psoriasis.
- Apply the topical treatment on the psoriasis patches using cotton balls and allow medication to be absorbed by your scalp.
- Cover your head with plastic hair cover to protect your beddings from being stained when you apply medication at night before bedtime.
For Scalp Protection
Salicylic acid is a well known over-the-counter remedy to protect the scalp from flakes. You can buy medications, shampoos and hair conditioners with salicylic acid. In addition to treatment of psoriasis of the scalp, lots of water, multivitamins and good nutrition can help reduce flakes of scalp psoriasis. They help increase the general health of the body to prevent and fight any disease including psoriasis of the scalp.